Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thou shalt not covet thy diamonds...um, I mean, neighbor's wife

When I was growing up I heard a lot about not coveting my neighbor's wife. Well, I don't know my neighbors and as far as I can tell, I'm straight. But coveting diamond rings, now that, I should have been taught about.

Since I've found my dress and I can't find a reception hall from my desk, I've been spending all my time trying to find a wedding band. When I first got engaged, I thought I would get just a simple, plain white gold thin band.

As Lucifer himself would have it, though, Collin and I stumbled upon a quaint jewelry shop in Kentucky where I tried on a diamond wedding band that had 1/2 carat of diamonds in it and it was only $250! The problem with that was, I didn't like how it fit next to my engagment ring. Collin said he wanted me to have a band with diamonds in it because he saw Kristin Layton's and loved how it sparkled.

The problem with this is wherever we go in Birmingham, the prices of these bands are a little more steep. Also, to get one custom made to go perfectly with my ring would be over $1,000.

I did find a nice little narrow white gold band for $100.

I'm so sick of looking for things. I start out thinking small and simple, then someone always says, what about this...then, it's too expensive, and I end up getting disappointed.

Also, jewelery store workers can be mean, but then again, they can be nice. Usually when I'm with Collin, they're nice. Today, when I went to Fincher and Osmand, they were rude.

I love my ring. I just want to get married. None of this other stuff matters...

WEDDING UPDATE: Currently I'm deciding between having the reception at the Botanical Gardens in Birmingham or the Bessemer Stake Center. Hopefully a decision will be made Saturday.

9 comments:

Caroline said...

You are so funny. I hate they were rude to you at Fincher and Ozment. They are always nice to me. Just be patient-you'll find something. And if you have to spend $1000.00-then Collin should know that you are worth it.
Have y'all found him a ring?
How do Receptions work at the Botanical Gardens?

Valoree said...

You are crazy! Sounds like you're getting a lot of work done there at the newspaper:):) Small, simple, non $1000.00 rings are nice, too and it doesn't mean that you love each other any less.

thomasheidisimpson said...

that is craxy that they are rude to you at jewelry stores. i remember one place in particualar where i went with thomas to look at rings. the chick was so rude that i wanted to hop over the display case and smash her forehead on the glass. instead we just got up and left immediately. but for real yo? don't these people WANT to sell you stuff instead of running you off???
ps. i got both of my bands as either a christmas present or birthday present after we were married. better to not have too much debt when you are first married.
pps. will i still get an invite even though we will be far away? perhaps we could even make a big trip for the reception.
ppps. what kind of cakes are you looking at?

Anonymous said...

HOORAY I'm special, my name is in the blog! AND Don't worry because you will find something- yes all the looking is a huge pain in the butt but just remember that it will all come together just fine and you are going to the temple so you will get some extra help from upstairs when you need it!
-Kiki (I'll use that as my code name so no one knows who I am- maybe)

Codeman said...

Man, how are you making so much more than me at work? That's SO not fair.

ventingzebra said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Heidi, of course y'all will get an invitation and if you can make it, that woulf be fantastic!!

We know what type of ring Collin wants, but we're not sure where to get it from yet.

ventingzebra said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Heidi, of course y'all will get an invitation and if you can make it, that woulf be fantastic!!

We know what type of ring Collin wants, but we're not sure where to get it from yet.

Anonymous said...

I think it's okay to spend a little more money to get what you want. This is something you're going to wear for a long time. Like Heidi said though, you don't want to start off with a ton of debt. The only thing Jared and I really went into debt for was the honeymoon and my engagement ring, and even then, we were reasonable about it so that we could have it all paid off within a few months. Like Kiki said, everything will come together, and the fact that you're getting married in the temple is the most important part, and soon you'll be Mrs. Collin Aynes ;-) Your dress is beautiful, and you're lucky to have found it so soon. I think my dress came in like a couple of weeks before the wedding!! Good job on saving $500, too! That's awesome!!
P.S. Kiki- if you were trying to remain anonymous, maybe you shouldn't have mentioned the fact that your name is in the blog.. haha ;-)

Anonymous said...

P.P.S. The above comment is from Debbie- I thought you'd figure it out by me mentioning Jared, but just in case....