Friday, September 08, 2006

Cat Catrastrophe

I was supposed to make up a final yesterday that I missed last spring because of my accident. This is the second time I tried to take it. The first time, my grad student teacher cancelled on me. Yesterday, she just didn't show up. I got there early so I could make sure I finished on time. We set up an appointment for 2 p.m. At 2:15, she still wasn't there. I stopped another grad student in the hall and asked him if he knew where she was. He called her and when I got on the phone, this is what I heard, between held back sobbs.

"Ashley, I am so sorry. It just slipped my mind that you were coming today. My cat almost died. You just weren't meant to take this final were you? Yes, my cat's home now, but she delivered her kittens and one of them didn't deliver. It started to decay inside her and it almost killed her. I've been dealing with this for the past two days."

You would think this would mean I'd be exempt from taking the final (like the rest of my considerate professors did), but no, she insists on me taking it even though I haven't been in that class for four months and I lost my notes and my books in the accident.

What do I do?

Go above her head. I'm currently protesting the situation and I'm contacting her supervisor (an actual professor) hoping he will waive the final considering the situation. I just want credit for the class, even if it means getting a C- .

I went back out to my car to drive to my class and the University gave me a parking ticket. For parking in a handicap spot. Even though I had a handicap decal.

I'm protesting the University all around.

WEDDING UPDATE: I have decided on having the reception at the Botanical Gardens in Birmingham. Now I just have to contact the lady and see if the 22nd is available. I've called her three times already. She hasn't returned my calls. We also chose invitations, which we will order and send out as soon as I book the Botanical Gardens for the reception.

6 comments:

thomasheidisimpson said...

girl, you go to the higher ups! you deserve to be waived, especially since your grad student has bailed on you TWICE! and you don't even live in tuscaloosa anymore! and you lost your notes! bless your heart!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's dumb, totally go over her head. Sucks about her cat though...

And yeah, (regarding your comment to my blog), all I really want to do is hang out with my boy. Weird. I mean, usually, when I'm actually at work it's not THAT bad, but do I ever want to go? Nooooo way. Such is life I suppose!

Caroline said...

You just really don't have much luck, do you? I hope you can get out of it. I hate it for her but I really hate cats-so it is hard to sympathise!
You can't be taking advantage of that handicap tag!

Valoree said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me. You so should be exempt from taking that test! Especially since she's not shown up twice! That's crazy! Glad to hear about the Botanical Gardens...hope it's available. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I agree- it's totally ridiculous for you to have to make up that final after 4 months!! It's her fault anyways! I hope it works out for you!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The above comment is from Debbie. Dang it! I keep forgetting to sign my name after choosing the whole anonymous thing!