Friday, September 29, 2006

When did I become such a scardy cat?

I've always loved scary movies. I used to get together with my friends in middle school and have a horror marathon all night long with Mountain Dew, pizza and Reese's cups. I was and still am the first to try and talk people into going trick-or-treating, even though I'm way too old. I go to an array of haunted houses (okay, well at least one) every Halloween season. Since I stopped watching R-rated movies in High School, I hunt down semi-horror films with a PG-13 rating. I never check to see if there's someone behind the door, or behind the shower curtain, or in the back of my car, as if when I'm not looking, they're going to cut my head off like in that movie, Urban Legends.

I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!

So, why did I get so freaked out by Steven King's Pet Semetery?

I read some of the book at the pool when I was a lifeguard three years ago, but didn't finish it, so when Collin wanted to watch it, I was psyched. An old 80's horror flick. What could be so scary about a bunch of animals scratching peoples' faces off?

Well, I was wrong...dead wrong. The movie, is about burying people in this Indian graveyard, where it just so happens the ground is "sour," so when they come back to life, they are evil. Well, ignoring warnings from a friendly, but still grossly discusting rotting corpse-ghost, the main character buries his family cat, his two-year-old son, and his wife, in this ground.

If there're two things I hate, it's clowns and demonic children. I put my hand over my eyes for the majority of the movie, and as of last night, I'm still scared to be left alone, or go into dark rooms by myself...including the bathroom.

Now, was this 80's horror flick really that scary, or am I becoming lame in my old age? I just hope I don't get this scared when I go to haunted houses this year...

WEDDING UPDATE: The caterer and Woodward Country Club are officially booked. This weekend we will order invitations. If you think I don't have your address and would like to receive an invitation (i.e. out of state people, or those who have just moved), please post it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found that I'm way more sensitive to scary/bad movies now that I'm older. I finally decided no more rated R movies after watching "History of Violence." Seeing that was a HUGE mistake. But yeah, it's weird cause movies like that didn't used to bug me, but now they totally do. Weird huh?

And do you have my address? Let me know and I'll e-mail it to ya!

~S

Caroline said...

I have always been too scared to watch movies like that, but I have heard that is a really freaky one! I bet you are scared to sleep in the basement.
Sounds like you are hard up for people to invite to your wedding! HaHa

Caroline said...

PS- Did you pick out some good food for the reception? What are your colors?

Anonymous said...

Ashley, you know I am HUGE into scary movies. I was always trying to get the YSA to go to any scary movie that wasn't rated R, but I have definitely noticed lately that I'm a lot more freaked out by scary movies and don't like watching them as much. I don't know what it is. Pet Semetary used to be one of my all-time favorites, but I haven't watched it in forever because I think it's rated R. Of course, that was back in the 80's. Demonic children are definitely the worst. Especially at the end when the dad gives him a shot, and then all of a sudden in this very sweet voice he says, "no fair, daddy, no fair," and it makes you want to feel sorry for him, but then you remember he's possessed!!! I always get freaked out by scary stuff, so I'm not sure why I've always loved it so much.
-Debbie

ventingzebra said...

Caroline - We will pick out the food in three weeks, and our colors are red and silver. And, I didn't want to leave anybody out of the invitation thing, so you know, I'm not hard up, just trying to be inclusive.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ashley!
I don't think you have our new address.
Jared and Debbie Mayfield
6752 Old Railroad Bed Rd.
Toney, AL 35773

Your engagement pictures are awesome! You guys look great together!

Valoree said...

Yeah, I always think I want to watch scary movies and then when I do I'm like, why do I do this to myself? Richard gets weired out by freaky kids, too. Glad the wedding plans are coming together. Love ya!