Tuesday, February 13, 2007

No Deal

Lately, I have been WAY too consumed with the thought of money. It’s not that I want to be rich, I just don’t want to have to worry about our financial situation constantly when we begin having children. I’ve always dreamed of being a stay at home mom. But now that I realize how expensive it is to just live, especially in Birmingham, I’ve been thinking that it may not be a possibility for me. I know anything is possible as long as you pay your tithing and pray, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have that life.

Now, now. Don’t read into this, Collin and I are not planning on having children for at least a few years, but it’s never too early to plan financially for it.

I guess a few of the things that have made me think about this is that I currently work with a young mom who has just had her first child. Her son is the cutest, sweetest, little boy. Her mother even works with us. She just came back to work about two weeks ago from her maternity leave, and though she does an outstanding job of not letting it show, I can see how hard it is for her to leave him every morning.

Another thing is that a really good friend of mine just became pregnant, and told me she is staying home with her child. I am so happy for her, her husband, and her unborn child. They will have to make quite a few sacrifices in order to do this, but of course, it’s worth it.

My obsession has gone so far that I have even visited the Deal or No Deal website to sign up to appear on the show. Collin and I were watching it last night, and talking about how even winning $10,000 would be worth going on the show. Unfortunately, you can’t just write in and sign up, you have to make a video tape of yourself, and of course, you have to be unique and entertaining.

We’re planning a budget since I’ve gotten a job, and we want to save a pretty large amount of money each month, that will help us when we decide to buy a house, but even then, we’ll have to worry about a mortgage! It’s never-ending!

Collin is thinking about changing banks, and if he does get hired, it will mean better pay, and eventually a better chance of promotion. I don’t know what our financial situation will be when we do decide to have children, but for right now, I’m going to try and make an effort to enjoy being married, not having children, and enjoy having the opportunity to travel while we can. It’ll be hard, but I’ll try.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa girl. You worry way too much. Just remember that no matter how it looks on paper, somehow it all works out. It is very overwhelming sometimes but it's so worth it. Of course I haven't been able to be that stay at home mom. Maybe one day...
By the way...who is that pregnant friend?

Val

thomasheidisimpson said...

val is so RIGHT!
and if life were easy, then it wouldn't be hard!-sheri l. dew
things that are worth it always work out.

Thanaglim said...

When we were in Tuscaloosa there was no way that I would be able to be a stay at home mom. It was a good decision to wait until I could and I knew that if I got pregnant before hand I still wouldn't work because I feel that's most important and I had faith that everything would work out the way it should. Mark is by no means "rich" now but we can start a family without me working if we remember to live within our means. Don't judge your expenditures on two incomes this'll only get you into trouble when you really do have children. Try to spend as if you're only on one income. This will help you to see where you can afford to make some sacrifices and will help you save money. If you do get on the show good luck and PAY ATTENTION!! the money you're offered is a good indication on what is in your suitcase-don't get too greedy and you'll get taxed big on your winnings. Just remember that. Good luck...believe me I know the frustration.

Caroline said...

Oh Ashley, Ashley, Ashley. You are a worry wart! Just enjoy being a newlywed and taking care of your self and your hubby. If you really want to be a stay at home mom you will be able to. Look at all these families in T-town that the men are in school and the women are at home. I guess they live on student loans-I don't know. You are doing the right thing by saving money now. So, keep that up! That's something I wish we would have stuck to. Staying at home is so rewarding and Heavenly Father will bless you by doing that! I love my children so much and it is amazing to watch them grow each day and spend so much time with them! It will work out!
I will be so jealous if you go on Deal or No Deal. Me and Sydney love that show!

Anonymous said...

I love Deal or No Deal too!! That would be awesome if you got to go! I'm somewhat of a worrier when it comes to stuff like this too. I just like to think ahead, and it's actually good that you're worrying about it now because that way you can prepare for it when the time comes. I agree with Caroline- if you decide to stay home, Heavenly Father will bless you, and he will help you find a way to make it happen. Don't just live within your means, live BELOW your means, and start saving now! I agree with thanaglim (is that kim?) too. Try to spend as if you're only on one income. Jared and I did that for the most part and saved the majority of the other income while I was working. I'm lucky that he is so frugal because he is much better at that stuff than I am. He budgets all of our money, and we really just try not to buy a bunch of unnecessary things, not that we never buy anything we want or anything. You guys obviously like to travel (so do I!), so it's okay for y'all to go on trips. In fact, I highly recommend that you do before you have kids... if you're planning on not having kids for a while. Jared and I just knew that we wanted to start having kids soon after we got married, so we tried to save up money, but we still planned a trip to the beach last summer and then went again in October for his family reunion. Anyways, I'm going on too long. My point is plan ahead, save, be smart, enjoy your marriage, and don't worry- it will all work out!
-Debbie