Tuesday, February 20, 2007

We didn't want to leave

Gatlinburg! We wanted to quit our jobs and never come back home, but then, without jobs vacations wouldn't be so wonderful to begin with, would they? We had such a wonderful time, and as soon as I can, I'll post pictures. Here's a play by play of our romantic weekend!

Friday night we left home around 6:30 p.m. and drove to just outside Maryville, Tenn? Ga? I'm not sure which, and stayed at a Ramada Inn. We got up the next day and drove through the National Park, and through Gatlinburg, getting to Pigeon Forge about 1:30 p.m. They told us our cabin wouldn't be ready until 4, so we drove around in the bumper to bumper traffic, looking at all the attractions of Pigeon Forge, and getting excited about the snow fluries that were starting to fall.

At 4 p.m. we arrived at our gorgeous, perfect cabin. There are many of you who wouldn't have liked it because it was actually in a subdivision of cabins only 1 mile away from the main drag, but we loved it, AND we didn't get snowed in or lose any power, like many of the other cabins in the mountains did. We hung out in the afternoon, playing pool, playing in the snow (around 1 inch in the valley, and upwards of 4 inches in the mountainous areas), going to the grocery store, and watching, of course, basketball. We took a much needed dip in the hot tub, and had a great meal of frozen lasagna, bread, and salad!

Sunday (I know, we're sinners) we got up and had cinnamon rolls, and got bundled up for our journey to Gatlinburg. We parked our car and went on the sky lift, then we walked around for a long time looking at all the attractions and hunting for a Funnel Cake Factory. After enjoying our lard cake, we went to Ober Gatlinburg, where we took the tram (so cool!) up to the ski resort and took the scenic sky lift to the top of the mountain. It was under 20 degrees, and freezing, but absolutely beautiful and worth it! We wanted to ski so bad after watching everyone else do it, but it was just too expensive and too late in the day, so we want to plan another skiing trip sometime. We've both only been once.

We got down from the ski resort and walked across the street to the first restaurant we found, which turned out to be MAGNIFICENT! It was so beautiful. They sat us in front of a huge fireplace, and the food was to die for. I had a pulled rotisouri (sp) chicken sandwhich, but what made it unique was the chili mayonnaise they put on it. It was so good. They took normal food, but put a spin on it to make it unique. Like Collin's barbecue chicken served on top of mashed potatoes. It was so tender, and it had a side of Macaroni and Cheese, but not just any mac and cheese. This stuff had peppers that gave it a kick. Truly not like any other restaurant I've been to. We both loved it!

After dinner, we just went home and enjoyed the hot tub, and rented a movie for $1 from some sort of vending machine at Kroger's...I wish we had some here!

Monday morning, we relunctantly got up and got ready to leave our beloved cabin. We went back into Gatlinburg where we got old time photos done (Collin's request) and ate at the famous Pancake Pantry (truly delicious!)

Then we spent the next four hours driving around the National Park, into North Carolina mesmarized by the mountains, and into an Indian Reservation, where we took a short hike to the biggest, most vertical waterfall I've ever seen.

We finally arrived home at 9 p.m. Monday night, exausted and relieved to get out of the car. The thing I loved most about this trip is I've been to Gatlinburg twice before, but I did things on this trip I didn't know there was to do! I love Collin and his wanting to do non-commercial things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I love new post. 3 in one day...Jackpot. But, what will I look at tomorrow? Cute pictures. Ya'll are such a cute couple. When I first saw that picture of the lady bent over, I was like I know that's not Ashley. And, I thought why would she post that unattractive picture of herself. I knew it couldn't have been you. I saw the bikini shot:)
Love ya,
Valoree

Anonymous said...

Fun Fun Fun! Can't wait to see pictures. I bet that was so cool to see some snow. It is worth being cold if it is snowing!
Caroline