Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chili's Banning and Visiting Teaching

Collin's basketball game Monday night got relocated to Berry Middle School which is close to where I work. The game was at 7, and Collin thought it would be a good idea to pick me up at 5, go ride around a little and get to the school around 6:30 to get ready for the game he was pumped about because the team they were playing hadn't won a game yet. He thought it was a sure win. After about 45 minutes of going to FYE (For Your Entertainment-music store) and getting a milkshake form Micky D's, we got bored and decided to just head over to the school.

We get there and the oldschool gym is a sauna. At first I thought it felt good because they tend to keep gyms a little cool for my taste, but after about an hour of watching the 6 o'clock game, I was red-faced, swollen, and unhappy. To make matters worse, the team they were going to play didn't show. It was forfeited, so you'd think we'd go home, but no. They wanted to play against eachother 4 on 4, just for practice, in that steam room they call a gym. I ended up standing outside with other wives chatting about how hot it was and how in the world those men were playing in it.

Afterward, we were invited to dinner for the second week in a row by the guy who got the team together in the first place, and his fiance (Randy and Hannah). We went to Chili's. I'm not a big fan of it, but I figured I'd find something to eat. The service was slow, my food was cold, and a third couple we went with bailed because their toddler was cranky.

And I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning.

Which brings me to my first visiting teaching appointment in Hoover. My companion is a really sweet, new convert. She's never in town because her boyfriend (also a member) lives in Auburn, so she goes there every weekend. We set up the appointment to visit a woman who I kind of knew, and knew it'd be fun. We'd been there for about an hour and a half, talking about everything from work, to babies, to our lesson, and I kept getting more nauseous by the minute. I tried hard not to let it show, and since I rarely throw up, just kept telling myself I'd feel better if I went home and laid still for a while.

We were saying our goodbyes, and of course my companion and the teachee started on something else. I suddenly knew I needed to get to a bathroom, and fast! I asked her if I could use the half bath I saw just steps away, and before she even said anything, I was in there puking 4 times in a row. Afterward I of course felt better, but that night, I didn't get any rest. I got up and tried to go to work Wed., made it until lunch, and bailed for home. I spent 1 p.m. until I went to sleep in bed watching whatever crap comes on network tv during the day, going in and out of sleep, complaining to Collin about how I was going to throw up, but never actually doing it.

Today, I feel better. Not completely up to bar, but definately better.

5 comments:

lunar_dusk said...

Gross. Glad you feel better though! I should visiting teach...such a slacker I am!

Valoree said...

Not a very fun week for you it sounds like. I hate throwing up! I can't believe you stayed at your appointment for 1 1/2 hrs! That's crazy.

thomasheidisimpson said...

i have a love/hate relationship with throwing up. hate the feeling, love getting is over with. (best diet i ever had, jk)

Thanaglim said...

i know EXACTLY how you feels....food poisoning is NOT fun

Caroline said...

what kind of basketball team is he on?

I HATE throwing up! What could be worse than having to do it away from home?
I've never been a big fan of Chile's.
I'm glad y'all are finding stuff to do and friends to hang out with!