Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Expectations

Collin and I decided that Valentine's Day builds you up for disappointment. We both got each other candy and a heart-felt card, but somehow it just didn't seem like enough. We didn't want to go out to eat because we knew all the restaurants would be packed, but we didn't want to just stay home either. We planned on seeing a movie, but by the time the 9:40 showing came around, we were both too comfy at home.

Collin and I, being married only over one year, treat every day as if it were a special day. We tell each other we love and miss the other multiple times, and Collin often does surprisingly sweet things for me for no specific reason. So, why did yesterday feel like a let-down?

On the other hand, Collin's parents did a wonderful job showing us up. They had us over for dinner Tuesday night and gave us a cookie cake, two packages of Reese's hearts, a card, and $50 to go towards a nice dinner, specifically at The Melting Pot. Talk about a gift! We didn't go to The Melting Pot on Valentine's for obvious reasons, but I hope we go soon!

In other news, I'm officially over the flu. It was horrible! It was my first time to have it and I've never in my life felt more pain, exhaustion, and plain, just out of it. I'm glad it's over and do not wish it on anyone!

And finally, I'm going to complete a task that was "tagged" to me by Caroline and write six things you may not know about me, or maybe you know them all too well.

1. I'm fascinated by the spelling of words and sometimes without even realizing it, I'll pick a word someone says in conversation and spell it out with my finger on my leg or couch/chair (wherever I happen to be) over and over.

2. I'm extremely lazy to a fault. Sometimes it seems like my life is just made up of going to work, laying around, and sleeping. I guess I feel like I have to do what I'd rather not do so much of the time that when I have free time, it would be best used "relaxing."

3. I am absolutely crazy about chocolate. Not a day goes by that I don't have it in some form. When I'm on weight watchers, I still allow myself at least one piece of candy a day.

4. I'd like to lose 30-40 pounds before we start having children. I've wanted to be that weight since middle school. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like if I get below what my weight was when we were married that I'll regret what I looked like that day, but I really think I was beautiful and don't want to do that to my psyche.

5. I've never been more happy in my whole life until I married my eternal companion, Collin!

6. Collin completely babies me and now I'm soooo whiny! He sometimes brings it to my attention and I just blame it on him. I swear I was not so whiny before we were married, or before we were dating for that matter!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

lunardusk said...

Yeah, we were really cool for Valentine's day. I made Nate buy me a mini cheesecake when we were at the store getting his prescription and we spent the day with him sick in bed and me resting. Sorry you felt disappointed though! I understand though--I always want those days to be extra special even when everday is special. And you were totally beautiful on your wedding day!!!! OH, and Nate's parents sent us a check for $4 so we could go get ice cream....lol!

Caroline said...

I didn't know you did that with the whole spelling words thing. I sometimes do that with counting.
So, Collin and his parents both spoil you! You've got it double!

Anonymous said...

WE WILL GO TO THE MELTING POT WITH YOU!!!!

Love, Kristin:)

Anonymous said...

I had no idea about the spelling thing either...how weird are you? j/k You and Collin just make me sick but I am so happy for you cause I know you waited a long time for him to come into your life!
Valoree

Debbie said...

First of all, I'm glad you are feeling better!

I know what you mean about the expectations for Valentine's Day and other "special" days. We went out on Friday, so not actually on Valentine's Day, but we still managed to have a good time. We went to dinner and a movie, but I don't remember if we did much last year (Taylor was only 2 months old), and the year before, we went to a restaurant but the wait was so long and I was so hungry that we just got take out and went back to our apartment. I felt like a loser, but I sure didn't feel like waiting an hour and a half to eat!

I SO do the spelling thing on my leg, too!! I just thought I was weird! I guess we're both weird! haha

I think I've become more whiney and dependent on Jared, too, since we got married. I don't think he babies me though. I'm sure it really annoys him.. haha

Debbie said...

oh and you are absolutely beautiful the way you are! if you would like to lose weight before you have children, that's definitely understandable, but I don't think you should let the fear of making yourself think that you didn't look good on your wedding day get in your way. You were beautiful on your wedding day, and nothing will change that!