Sunday, May 25, 2008

One Chrystal Ball Short of Being Gypsies

I had to steal the above title from my brother-in-law, Richard. He used it once to describe us, and it is too funny to pass up.

I just couldn't let the month of May slip by me without a post. I don't have anything clever to say, but here's a recap in the whirlwind life of the Aynes crew...

-My dad's mom, Inez Jones, passed away Tuesday. She was 78, and was the last of my grandparents. She was a devoted woman who gave all she had to raising many of her siblings, her own five children, and helping raise their children. She was hardworking and good humored. She will be missed. I feel no real tie to South Carolina anymore, even though I still have TONS of relatives there. It was good to see everyone, despite the occassion, and I hope I will not lose complete touch with them. Collin and I left Wed. after work and 5 1/2 hours later were in South Carolina for the funeral that was on Thursday.

-Friday morning we hit the road for Indiana. We pitt-stopped in a little town 30 miles from Gaffney (where most of my family lives) at a place called Strawberry Hill. My Uncle Mike tipped us off on the place. I felt like I stepped into the past. Fresh picked strawberries, tomatoes, jam, bread, etc. were for sale, and a quaint shop across the street sold home-made ice cream. It was only 9:30 in the morning, but I couldn't resist getting homemade strawberry cheesecake ice cream. It was worth it. On our way out of the shop, I saw a local paper out of the corner of my eye, and being a journalism major, I can't pass up a good ole small town paper to meander through. I grabbed it without thinking. They were sitting on the counter without a sign or anything. When we reached the car, Collin said, "I think you have to pay for that." Well no one stopped me, and I looked back at the store to see if anyone would come out and demand 50 cents, but no one did. I was sure they were free. A few miles down the road, Collin flipped through the paper and noticed a 50 cent symbol at the top front page and shared his discovery. For the next hour, every once in a while I'd break the silence in the car with, "I can't believe I stole from that shop."

-What was supposed to be 8 hours later, but turned into 9 because of a wreck in Louisville, KY that resulted in the interstate being shut down, we arrived in Santa Claus, IN and stayed at Santa Claus Inn. This town has next to nothing! The point of going? Holiday World: the first amusement park in the world.

-This is where is gets really dorky. Collin found out from a guy he works with that there are roller coaster enthusiast groups, and if you are a member you have access to special events. He joined Coaster Buzz for a whopping $20 a year, and gained us access to Holiday World's Holiwood Nights. The itinerary? Friday night after the park closes, you get dinner and three hours of ride time on the park's three wooden roller coasters. Saturday you get breakfast, early admission into the water park, admission into the park, dinner, and three and a half hours of extra ride time after the park closes on the roller coasters. NERD FEST! More details and pictures to come.

-Saturday night, I drug Collin from the park at 10:40 p.m. and we began our drive to Madisonville, KY to visit his grandma. An hour and a half later (around midnight) we arrived.

So here I am in Kentucky. We leave tomorrow afternoonish to begin the four and a half hour drive back to Birmingham. Wow, will I ever be glad to be back home!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

haha.. thief! j/k Girl, you make me tired just thinking about all the traveling you've been doing. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hopefully you will be able to stay in touch with your other family members. I look forward to seeing pictures from the NERD fest! haha

Caroline said...

You failed to mention to me that you had a Nerd Fest planned!
I can't believe you stole that paper! I look forward to our beach trip! See you there!