Wednesday, July 23, 2008

No Air

Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air
Can't live, can't breathe with no air

No, Collin didn't leave me, our air conditioning went out! Last Tuesday I had kind of a rough day at work, decided to stop for ice cream to cheer myself up and when I got home, it was 80 degrees in the house. Luckily we have a home warranty, so I called and set up an appointment for someone to come out and look at it. No one could come until Thursday, so Tuesday night we faced the heat, but by Wednesday it was 90 plus degrees in the house.

After work that day Collin was in his bonus room in the basement because it was a little cooler there, and I joined him. After about 20 minutes we both realized there is a window unit in that room because it's not connected to the central air system. Collin turned it on to see if it worked and it did! We drug the mattress from our guest bed down there that night and slept there because I couldn't stand the rest of the house.

In fact, when we went upstairs to get ready for bed, it took less than five minutes for my heartbeat to speed up, my face to turn red, and my fingers to start to swell. I think I would have died at a very early age if I'd been born in the ages before central air conditioning. That, or I would have had to move to Alaska.

All day Thursday we heard horror stories of it taking 2-3 weeks for people to have their air conditioning fixed. Luckily, they came, and within thirty minutes fixed it, and by the time I got home Thursday night, we were back in business.

Oh air, how I love thee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how hot and miserable you were! That makes me hot just thinking about it! I can't believe ya'll never noticed the window unit in that room before! How long have you lived there? :)
Valoree

Debbie said...

I'm glad you got it fixed quickly! Our heat went out just a few months after we moved into our house, and Taylor was a newborn. We had a home warranty, too, but the company they sent to fix it was horrible, and to make a long story short, it ended up taking like 3 months before it was fixed and they eventually just replaced the whole unit! Not fun. My bro-in-law's air conditioning went out right before he got married so they had to go home that night to a really hot house-- we tried to tell him to get a hotel room!