Thursday, August 21, 2008

Handy Men

Collin probably wouldn’t want the whole world to know this, but since I’ve known him, he hasn’t been exactly what you would call a “Handy-Man.” In fact since we’ve moved into our house, I’ve hung all of the pictures and mirrors myself (that includes measuring and nailing into the wall) and I have put together our TV stand and a DVD rack, with very little help from Collin.

The only reason I’m telling on him like this is so that you will understand why I’m so proud of him for what he did yesterday. Before I do that, I want to express deep gratitude for all the other men in my life. Those people being my father, brothers-in-law, and Collin’s step-dad. I have been blessed to be around many talented men who can do a lot around the house and who have been so eager to volunteer their help and talents in doing things for us. I can’t tell you how many times my brothers-in-law and dad have helped me move before I got married, and who helped Collin and I move (twice) after we were married, and how many times all those men have come to our house to “visit” and ended up doing work for us around the house. They truly baffle me in how generous they are of their time, and how they don’t expect anything in return.

Collin currently works 4, 10 hour days at work and has had Wednesdays off since May. My dad and brother-in-law, Brad came over this past weekend because Brad has lent us his riding lawn mower since they currently don’t have use for it and it was going to sit in their storage anyway. For the past two months, we haven’t been able to get it to work, so they initially came over for that, but when all that was wrong with it was merely tightening the loose battery cables, we then asked them if they would mind showing us how to put up a ceiling fan we bought and an outside light fixture. They helped us do that and Collin and I tried to pay attention and learn how to do it because we have a lot more ceiling fans and indoor lights we want to replace.

Yesterday while I was at work, Collin mowed the yard, replaced two outdoor light fixtures on his own, fixed a chair that goes with our kitchen table that had been broken for 9 months, and bought a futon and put it together by himself! I was so happy and proud of him for taking initiative and from learning so quickly.

This weekend we plan to buy some replacement fans, lights, hardware and more items to get started making some changes around the house we’d been talking about doing since we moved in. Collin’s step-father, Tom, is coming over Saturday to help us with the harder things, including feeding a DirectTV line down to our bonus room so we can use it for more than just playing Super Nintendo.

Can you tell we finally got our stimulus payment in the mail Tuesday? Woohoo to government money.

3 comments:

Thanaglim said...

wow you just got your stimulus check on Tuesday?? we got ours in May...anyway I'm glad your hubby did all those things without any coaxing either!

Caroline said...

WOW! I am SO proud of Collin! I am married to a Handy Man and can't get him to do that much stuff in one day! HAHA!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good job Collin! Richard's not much of a handyman either but he tries. I, too am thankful for all the "other" men in my life who are. Our house is officially up for sale! Sorry I couldn't come to lunch Sat. See you Monday though!
Valoree