Wednesday, January 21, 2009

St. Thomas

St. Thomas was the first island we stopped at. It was probably my least favorite. One reason was most likely due to the fact that it is owned by the United States so it didn't feel very "Caribbean" to me. It came across as just a big tourist trap.

Don't get me wrong, the beaches were beautiful.

But the tour we went on was kind of lame. It took us to some sort of pirate exhibition.


On a bus through scenic roads and let us off at a beach for two hours (best part).

From the pirate "museum" and rum factory, we walked downtown where there were literally jewlery stores for miles. They were right next door to each other and across the street. I have no idea how they all stay in business.

On the way back to the ship, I stepped in front of a bus. It's a good thing the driver was paying attention or else our vacation would have been cut very short.
Looking back, I'm glad this was our first stop. After St. Thomas, the other true "Caribbean" islands and excursions exceeded my expectations.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

geez! I'm glad you didn't get hit by the bus!

The Grays: said...

How fun! I LOVE cruises. We are headed on one, the last week of Feb. I love the first picture of you guys!