Friday, March 27, 2009

Excuses

I play a game every morning on the drive to work that I like to call, “Excuses.”

When I’m in bed and my alarm goes off I always seem to think that it’s a good idea to snooze an extra five, ten or even fifteen minuets. Then, when I actually get up, I realize how stupid it was and start running around.

I started taking showers at night to save time in the morning so that when I get up, I can be out the door in ten minutes. The first half of the drive to work is somewhat stop and go so I usually eat breakfast during those 5-7 minutes. The last half of the drive, I sit at a traffic light. This time allows me to put on my makeup while waiting.

The last two or three minutes, I look frantically at the clock hoping I can get to work by 7:59 or 8:00 because even one minute late constitutes as a “tardy”. During those minutes I run excuses through my mind of what I can say to constitute being late. I obviously can’t say I’m late because I slept in an extra five minutes. So I picture myself saying, “The traffic was heavier today,” or “I got stuck behind a school bus.”

But I never get to use the excuses I come up with because more often than not, I arrive around 7:58 or 7:59. But I hate the days when I do arrive at 8:02 because I can’t sneak into the building. A loud “ding” sounds whenever anyone opens any of the doors.

This morning I sat down at my desk at 7:59. Victory! As my stress level rose during this morning’s game (as it always does), I thought to myself, “Wouldn’t it be much easier to just get up earlier so that I don’t have to put myself through this every day?” The answer is yes, but I always seem to forget about that when I’m snoozing.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I remember when I was working I abused the snooze button way too much! I would run atleast 1 or 2 minutes late to work everyday! As I was walking in the door I would think "Why can't I just wake up 5 minutes earlier so I won't be late?" I guess cause I knew I could get away with it!
I have to say that is pretty impressive that you can get out the door in 10 minutes. Don't you feel crappy and groggy?

Anonymous said...

Dear Ashley,
You've always loved sleeping late in the morning, but you would rarely take a nap at preschool. Go figure. Just try snoozing one time instead of 3 to ease yourself into getting up. I don't want you to have an accident before you get to work.
Love,
MOM

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to this! I will lay there and think, hmmm...if I don't straighten my hair today, I can snooze one more time and then like you, I want to kick myself for not just getting up but unlike you and Caroline, I don't just run 1-2 min late...it's more like 10! But, also like Caroline, I can get away with it and I can slip in a back door. I don't like it though and I need to do better. Just wait til you have to get you and a baby out the door!
Valoree

Kristin and Chase said...

Ha ha Ashley! As your former room mate, I believe you will always choose the snooze! And that is just what i love about you:) You always make life funny and interesting.