Sunday, July 26, 2009

Small, Sweet Rewards

As many of you know, I've been serving as the 2nd Counselor in Primary in Ensley since December. It hasn't been easy getting to know the kids. Most of them are brought to church by their grandparents and don't actually live within the Ensley boundaries. So, the attendance fluctuates...a lot. Because Primary attendance has been so low, I haven't felt like I've really contributed much to the ward.

The rest of the presidency and I had hopes that the summer would bring a greater primary attendance, but it has been the opposite. We've been lucky to have two of our more regular boys, brothers ages 6 and 9 in addition to the President's three-year-old son. I'm in charge of teaching the junior primary class, but because I usually only have one child in that age-range, I've been combining with the senior class a lot.

The reason I bring all of this up is because today at church three children I haven't seen in a long time came to church today. One 9-year-old boy and two girls, sisters, ages 4 and 6. For the first time in a long time I had a full sunday school class of five children. It was a good day to have more than one or two children there because in honor of Pioneer Day, I had the children make butter by shaking cream in ziploc bags as I taught the lesson. At the end of the lesson, they got to enjoy their butter on bread. It was a hit.

The highlight of my day was when the six-year-old little girl came up to me during sacrament meeting and gave me a picture. A few minutes later, her little sister (age 4) brought me a picture she had drawn. It suddenly made everything I'd done seem important. All of the Saturdays I spent planning lessons I didn't get to teach because I didn't have a class, battling feelings of worthlessness because surely Ensley needs me to do more than teach an occasional Sharing Time or attend a quarterly primary activity, and other things I've struggled with were all taken away by this small act performed by two little girls.

Here are the pictures:


Four-year-old's picture
Six-year-old's picture

I've heard that every calling in the church has equal importance, but I've never fully believed it. I'm still not sure I completely agree with the statement, but these pictures (even if just for one Sunday) made me feel like I was making a difference. I hope with all my heart that their grandmother will bring them back next week.

4 comments:

Thanaglim said...

Think about the missionaries who put so much time into their calling and seemingly no reward comes. Most missionaries do not reap the fruits of their labors and I am sure many them feel as you do. But the numbers don't matter.

Some began have the attitude of "what's the point if no one ever comes? Remember the scripture "if it be that you bring one soul unto me how great shall your joy". If only 1 child comes to benefit from the time and love you put into the lesson that's your reward-to know you've taught at least 1 child the right and correct way.

My thoughts anyway...

Thanaglim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thanaglim said...

sorry--have to correct myself

**some begin to have...

heidi said...

i am also second counselor, and though our primary is large i often feel like a referee more than a teacher. however, once in a while i will have a moment where i know that i am getting through to them. and those few moments are priceless!!! thanks for sharing!