Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Swimming

Last Thursday we went to Louisville, KY to visit Collin's family. Bri did exceptionally well on the ride there and was so happy the entire visit. The only thing I didn't like about traveling with an infant was having to share the hotel room with her. At home, her room is on the other end of the house and I turn the monitor low enough to not be able to hear her babble, but it's still high enough for me to hear her cry. I'm an extremely light sleeper, and while she slept well the first night (11pm - 7am), I slept uneasily from being able to hear her everytime she turned over or sighed heavily in the pack 'n play.

Collin's Grandma (his Dad's mom) is not doing well. We decided to visit her and to let her see Bri in case she's not with us much longer. While there, Collin got to spend some quality time with his Dad and I got to enjoy catching up with Collin's sweet Aunt and thirteen-year-old cousin. I also got to meet one of his other aunts that I hadn't met before, and who gave us some really cute clothes for Bri.

A huge perk of this trip was that the hotel had a heated indoor pool and I jumped at the chance to take Bri on her first swimming adventure. She seemed to enjoy it and mostly just studied the water and tried to drink it. She instinctively kicked her legs, which I was excited about (even if most children do this, I am still excited).
Chillin out maxin relaxin all cool
The inseparables. Bri is definitely a Daddy's girl. I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous.
Kicking for Mommy


She was actually kicking beneath the float! Will she be a swimmer like me?
I taught swim lessons for 5 years but never taught children under the age of 4. I took classes that taught the idea that babies have an instinct to float and to flip onto their backs if placed in the water on their stomachs. I'm too afraid to test out the flipping theory, but I tried to see if Bri would float and didn't get very far. She never relaxed enough for me to let go of her even for a second. I guess we'll wait until she's older. In the meantime, my focus is getting her comfortable with the water.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The flipping theory is correct, you just have to get them to do it a couple of times...I was taught to do that when I was a baby...my instructor got me to the point where she would throw me into the pool, completely clothed, and I would pop up and turn onto my back...my Mom has picture proof of this somewhere...

Kristin and Chase said...

I HATE sharing a room with Cade!! I totally know everything you are saying about sharing a room. I always wake up constantly in the night every time he moves. Not to mention he wakes up at like 5am and won't go back to sleep b/c he can see us. It's just much better for parents and child when they are in separate rooms. Glad she did well on the long car ride! Love the swimming pictures!

Caroline said...

Precious pictures!!!!!! What a doll! I'm glad y'all had a good trip!

Anonymous said...

So sweet! Richard tries to say that Evan is becoming a daddy's girl but so not true! That's sweet that Bri loves her daddy so much but I would be jealous, too!
Val

Debbie said...

So true- the worst part of traveling is having to sleep in the same room with your baby. They (and you!) sleep so much better when they're in a separate room!