Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So far I've sent my book synopsis to 11 agents. I've had one ask for the complete manuscript, two haven't responded yet, and I just received my 8th rejection tonight.

It's funny actually because the main character of my book is rejected at the beginning, and she spends almost the entire story trying to figure out why. I guess it's ironic.

The first rejection I received was exhilarating, and the next five were a bit numbing. I took them in stride and told myself it was to be expected. My heart raced when one agent asked for my manuscript just minutes after sending in my query letter, and every day since (5-1/2 weeks) I've checked my email a ridiculous number of times a day.

It's exciting and terrifying all at once to be where I am right now. During the two years I was writing this book, I couldn't help but "have a feeling" that I would be a published author one day. Now that it's done and rejections are piling up, I'm having doubts.

The best thing about this experience though is that when I wrote the first few paragraphs two years ago, my dream was to write one really good book, make enough money to be able to stay at home with my kids, and that was that. But now that I know how amazing is feels to finish a story and to have conversations with people who've read the book about the characters and places I've made up, I know that I can't stop writing. And that's the greatest thing of all...to find my true place in this life.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome that you have an agent wanting the rest of the manuscript!!! Can't wait to read it one day!

Natalie said...

oh good luck. i hope it all works out. if not now then soon.

Debbie said...

Don't give up, Ashley! Keep working at it! What an accomplishment- I can't even imagine writing a book! I can't wait to read something you've wrote!

Kristin and Chase said...

Aw, Ashley! I know it's got to be hard, but don't worry! You are such a great writer and it will all work out! You already know that I loved the book:)

Caroline said...

I can not imagine how it feels to get rejections but how wonderful to know you have people that have read your book and really enjoyed it! You are a very talented girl and I can't wait to read more and more!