Wednesday, October 06, 2010

12 months and 1 week

Collin took Bri to her 1-year check-up yesterday. She's 26-1/2 lbs and 30 inches long which is still over the 100th percentile in weight and 75th percentile in height. The doctor said since she obviously doesn't have trouble keeping weight on, we can give her 2% milk instead of whole milk.

Also, did anyone else know that it is now recommended to leave the car seat rear-facing until the child is 2 years old?

Bri is still not walking, but is taking 3-4 steps at a time to get from one place to the other. She's communicating so much more now and definitely understand most of what we say. I am loving it. Collin and I think she's a genius, but I'm also trying to remind myself that most children her age are doing the same things.

Some of the smart things lately have been...

Bri loves to look at books; not necessarily read them, but just turn the pages to look at the pictures. Most of the time, she flips through them too fast to read them to her so I've been either making up words or paraphrasing the book if I know it well enough. There is one book she really likes called Baby Giggles. About a month ago, she was playing and had about five or six books lying around her. I saw the Baby Giggles book and started saying the words as if I were reading it. "Bath time baby. Splish splash and bubbles. Hungry baby. Eat yummy cake." She stopped what she was doing, looked up at me, then down at her books, and picked up the Baby Giggles book.

For her birthday, Bri's Aunt Valoree gave her a CD player with two children's CDs. She loves listening to them. Last night, she crawled over to the DVD case where the CD player is and pulled herself into a standing position, pointing to the player. I didn't feel like listening to the CD because I'd had one of the songs stuck in my head for a couple of days. so I told her "No" and distracted her by playing with something else. A little bit later, I still had that same song stuck in my head so I started singing it. "I had a rooster and my rooster pleased me. I fed my rooster beneath the Oak Grove tree. My old rooster said Cockadoodle doo. Dee doodle dee doodle dee doodle dee do." Bri stopped what she was doing, looked up at me and pointed to the CD player.

Then yesterday, her RoRo (Collin's Mom) was playing with her and asked, "Are you tired? Do you need to take a nap?" And Bri took her hands and led her to her bedroom. (She can walk if you hold her hands.)

Like I said, I'm sure these things are very common for children her age, but it's just amazing to me how suddenly she seems to be picking things up.

Here's to a year with Bri and many more to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is smart! I really enjoyed ready those examples. It is so much fun when they start communicating with you and it is amazing what they understand! Evan loves to listen to her cd's in the car! It can be annoying but it's a life saver when it's the only thing that seems to keep her from pitching a fit!
Valoree

Kristin Tice said...

That is crazy about the car seat. You know I had to look it up..."the most recent study on this subject shows that toddlers are up to five times safer if they remain rear-facing until age two." So it makes me cringe even more when I know of little people I care about being put front-facing before they are even one :(
Awesome about Bri!!!

The Grays: said...

She's a genius :-), no question! And, rear facing til 2? Wow...we already turned G around. My pediatrician didn't mention it at her year appt 2 months ago. I guess it's because she is over the 100% for height.