Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What I Learned from Miranda Lambert


(View from our seats, not so great.)

Huddled together against the chilling wind at the tip-top of the Oak Mountain Ampitheater, Collin and I readied ourselves to hear some good ole country music.  I knew most of Miranda's songs prior to Saturday night's concert, and I knew she was a spit-fire, but what I did not know was that I was about to get a life lesson.

Now, I wouldn't call Miranda a role model.  Not with her songs about shooting men, and drinking, smoking, and taking pills.  But the girl's got self-confidence. 

At an age (28) where I feel the need to not only be as perfect as I can, but to make the perfection seem effortless, Miranda (also age 28) embraces her flaws; revels in them even.  And when things don't go as planned, she announces the problems to the world.

After a few dynamic and powerful songs, Miranda (in a tank-top, very short sequined skirt, and boots)tells the audience that she awoke that very morning with allergies that had swollen her eye shut.  She said that she had to put on fake eyelashes to cover it up, and that she felt "like a hot mess up (there), but thanks for loving me anyway".

Had she not said anything, I would have never guessed that her look wasn't just her "roll out of bed I'm beautiful" look.  And it just struck me as odd that she would admit that she wasn't at her best in front of thousands of people.  And then it struck me that it shouldn't have struck me as odd (you follow?)

So all this rambling is to say that Miranda's not perfect and she doesn't pretend to be, and she has thousands of people who love her anyway because her looks aren't all that matter.  And how does this pertain to me? 

Well, I'm not perfect (I know, shocking), and I don't need to pretend to be either.  I find people who are honest and real to be refreshing.  So I need to stop worrying and trying so hard, and just be real and honest, too.

No comments: